Wednesday 3 February 2010

Haiti

Espere

With the radio on
I was awakened from sleep
Turned on the news
as words dominated the screen
“State of Emergency”, it said
“Many feared dead”, it read
An earthquake in Haiti rose me out of my bed
Several days later
Photos released from the scene
Four words came to my mind
Somebody….
Help….
Them….
Please.
now the talk of the town
Every newspaper in sight
Such a Cause for concern
Who will lead Haiti to the light?
An uncertain morning
Afternoons without guarantee
Nights in the darkness
And just a box of clothes from me?
I need to do more
I will help where I can
So many abandoned children
Displaced throughout the entire land
If we all pull together
and help all those in need
My little old box
can turn into millions received
A feeling compared to Katrina
Its a serious problem
Are they still looking for FEMA
or has it already found them?
……A few days later
More donations are on the way
A public Service
announcement
is sent through the waves
Preservation of life ?
Medical attention for some?
I cant imagine what they are going through
Is the aid enough?
News of people that have passed on
It must feel like the end
If everyone does their part
Perhaps this is a tear that we can mend.

by Sherry Tagoe

No comments: