Wednesday 3 February 2010

Empty Space

Bright lights fill the sky, sparkling and shining in incandescence.
I watched with wide staring eyes as the lights moved past me in rhythmic sweeps and wild explosions, brilliant colours reflect on the water and on the rows of faces to the right and left of my own.
Strong arms wrap around me and I feel your firm chest press against my back, the warmth of your breath on the back of my neck.
Goosebumps spread up and down my arms, the hairs on the back of my neck raise...
Your grip tightens and you wrest your chin on my shoulder, I lean back into you revelling in the love, comfort, support and protection you symbolises.
A huge eruption of bright lights signal the finale of the New Years Fireworks.
We go home.
We walk through the front door, and there she is. Sitting on your bed.
She looks surprised, I look at you.

You look mortified.

"Who is she?" She asks standing up. She is older than me, taller too. With nicer skin.
"Who is she?" I snap jabbing a finger at her, you swallow and shut your eyes, I turn back to her and notice the shape of her body, the slightly too round stomach and the huge breasts.

Silence.

Bile fills my throat and my stomach gets tight, I step away from her.
I step away from you.
You reach out to grab me and I jerk away turning to walk out.
You reach again and grab my wrist yanking me back.
But I am not staying here with her.
"None of this would have happened if you had just had a baby with me when I asked! I begged you!" You yell, I stop then simply to stare at you, to see if you heard what you just said.

Silence.

I pull myself free of you and walk away.
Outside I realise my cheeks are soaked with tears. I touch my face in surprise and notice people looking at me strangely. I hide my face and hurry on.

You didn't chase after me.

You staid with her.. The pregnant one.

No comments: